Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 5 - Gardening and Blue Dogs

Monday found Bill back at work. Unfortunately, it also meant us girls getting up early and driving him to work - 1 1/2 hours roundtrip. When we got back to the hotel, we decided to take one last dip in the pool. It was deserted when we got there, so that was nice. After about 1/2 an hour we headed outside to the sun deck to dry off. Then back to our room to get dressed and head back to Rip Van Winkle Gardens!!


We arrived at the gardens at 11, met the resident Great Dane Puppy named Peanut, paid the admission fees and headed to the cafe for lunch. I loved this cafe!! We got to sit on the sun porch and had an awesome view of Lake Peigneur! The food was good, too, so that was a bonus!! The trek through the gardens wasn't much to brag about. We saw some pretty plants in the beginning, a couple of fountains, Japanese Tea House. I was more concerned about getting to the Mansion for our tour!! I love touring old houses!


We made it to the house a little early for the tour, so we took advantage of the huge front porch with rockers and took a rest.....it was so hot and humid! Peanut paid a visit to us while we were waiting, which the girls thought was awesome!! The house was beautiful. They didn't allow pictures or video, though, so you will have to take my word for it....or go visit it yourself. We weren't allowed to go upstairs, either, which was pretty disappointing to me, but we did see 10 rooms including the kitchen that still had the original cast iron stove in it!


While touring the house, Bill called and was ready to be picked up from work. So, we quickly walked the rest of the gardens then headed back out to Krotz Springs to pick him up....whew, I felt like I had been driving for ages!


On the advice of my friend, Joni, we headed to the Blue Dog Cafe for dinner! I soooooo wish we had went here our first night.....I would have eaten here every night of our vacation....it was AWESOME!!!!! Definitely the best meal of our entire trip!! Although, Bill thought the Roasted Duck Quesadilla was too woodsy for his tastes. After dinner, it was back to the hotel so I could start packing....boo-hoo!


1 comment:

JKMN said...

Yay - glad you loved the Blue Dog. That place is so cool!