Thursday, February 21, 2008

Africa Presentation

Each year our elementary school has an African presentation. It all started because Hayley's teacher lived many years in Africa (in Nigeria and Mali). Back when she was Sydney's first grade teacher in a different elementary school, the program was much smaller. Only a handful of children from Syd's class participated, it was held during a PTA meeting, and the students only sang one song and spoke a few words. Since moving to our new elementary school, the program has grown to epic proportions....okay that might be a little exaggeration, but it really has become something special for every child to participate in. This year was no different and Hayley got to be in it. We were very happy that she was chosen to play a drum and had a speaking part. This is very new for us! Sydney likes to perform, but she is so shy that she doesn't usually get these more prominent roles in a program. Of course, I was also very excited to test out my new camera (which also does video) in the gymnasium. The new camera worked perfectly (although the video lost some of its resolution in the compression when I uploaded it to blogger, so it is kind of blurry) and the show was outstanding! Many kudos to Mrs. Parham along with the 1st grade team and the specials teachers for putting on a great show!

The video below is around 7 minutes long. I don't expect anyone (except grandparents) to sit through all of that, so just fast forward as much as you like, but I promise you will enjoy any parts that you watch!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my goodness

How cute are they with the papposses!

Great Job Hayley!

JKMN said...

I did the African program last year. Hayley did great!
Margaret

JKMN said...

Brings back memories - LOVE first grade!
Joni