Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Family Picnic

On May 19, we went to my husband's company picnic that they sponsor every year. This year, we were very surprised to learn that it was being held at the Storybook Ranch in McKinney! We had driven by this place many, many times, and wasn't sure what to expect. From the road you can see some Victorian style houses and outbuildings. I wasn't sure how we were going to have a family picnic in such a little space!

Once we arrived, we immediately hopped onto a hayride. I was thinking that it was pretty excessive to have a hayride to drive us just a couple of feet, but I was getting into the mood and decided to enjoy it. To my surprise, we headed in the opposite direction of the houses, down a hill, over a rickety bridge, up a hill and around the bend where this beautiful Old West town is actually hidden!!! I had no idea it was back there! There was an old church, apothecary, saloon, jail, general store and more. All in the old west motif!

There was a playground set up for small children, and there were arts and crafts for the bigger kids. There was also a caricature artist doing free portraits! One thing we were most excited about was the horse and buggy ride! I was very concerned that the horse would not be able to pull all of us and a driver, but yee-haw he took off like a flash! It was great!!

Of course, we can't forget the awesome BBQ buffet that was set out. We filled our plates and headed into the saloon to eat. I really felt like I was living back in the day of an old prairie town!

The highlight for us at all of the company picnics is BINGO! Yes, I said BINGO! They have awesome prizes for these games! Sydney always wins when she plays there and that day was no exception! She took home a High School Musical DVD Board Game! She and her sisters couldn't wait to get home and play it! And boy did they.... I also won a game this time and took home a Scrapbook Kit. It is very nice and most of the pages are already decorated and just need a picture added!

We had an awesome time!!

No comments: