As with Sydney, I thought I would fill everyone in on Emyley's birth story. However, since it happened more recently, and since I documented it in my wonderful BADP Mom's club, it is a little more complete and story-ish. It may not be for the faint of heart, so feel free to skip down to the pictures if you are a little squeamish!Five Years Ago Today.....
I arrived at the hospital at 6:30 on Friday, 12/27. We were pretty bored waiting for everything to get started. I was pretty determined in my plan for a pain-free delivery...pitocin, epi then water break. My wonderful doc, Dr. Scott, was on board with this, too.
At 8:10 am the IV finally got started. Pitocin started at 8:15. When I got to the hospital, I was already having cxs, but nothing regular or painful. The pitocin didn't seem to make them hurt at all...just regulated them. My doc came in at 8:18, but didn't check me since I wasn't in any pain. Also, it didn't really matter how far along I was since we had my plan all mapped out.
At about 10:15, the cxs started to get more painful (about a 5 on the pain scale). Since there was a c-section scheduled to start soon, they wanted to go ahead and get my epi going so I wouldn't have to wait. By 10:30 the epi was in...it sure did hurt...something I didn't remember the other 2 times. Of course, the other 2 times I was in pretty bad labor...this time, I was still pretty comfy!
My doc came in a few minutes later and broke my water...I was only a 3 and 50% effaced and -3 station. I knew I was in for the long haul after that. I also got a catheter a few minutes later.
At 10:45 they upped the pitocin and I decided to take a nap. I was checked again at 12:40 (yes, a whole 2 hours later) and was a whopping 4cm and 70% effaced and only a -2 station! I was getting pretty discouraged at this point. I sent all the family (did I mention my whole family had come down from Okla to be with us?) to lunch.
At 2:35 (yes, another 2 hours later) I was a 5! woohoo (sarcasm)! I was getting pretty upset at this point. Although I was comfy and in no pain, I had hoped things would progress a little faster. It was pretty hard emotionally on me. I decided to lie down (I had been sitting up most of the day) and take a nap.
I kept having headaches and at 3:45, I called the nurse to come in to see if I could have any Tylenol. She had forgotten to ask my doc, but decided to adjust Emyley's heart monitor because it wasn't picking her up very well. She played with it and at 3:55 decided to put an internal monitor in. I wasn't happy about it, but I knew it was important.
So, she went to check me (something she wasn't going to do until 4:30) and put the monitor in...well, she stopped and said it was time to call the doc. I was like, uh, why? She said “cause you are ready to deliver”! What?!?!?!? Then Bill went walking past the bed to tell my mom it was time to push when he said "Whoa!" The nurse, who was on the phone desperately trying to get the doc, turned around and saw Emyley's head poking out! I thought they were all full of it cause I felt nothing! The nurse hung up and called the nurses station for help and to tell them to call the doc when at 3:57 (yes, 2 minutes later), Emyley popped right out with no pushing on my part!
The doc arrived a couple minutes later and delivered my placenta and gave me 2 whole stitches. I can't believe after all our planning that she missed it! The whole thing still seems like a dream to me. And, the epi lasted until 9:15 that night!
Emyley Catherine was 8lbs 6oz and 21" long just like her biggest sister!
Happy Birthday, Emyley!!
We love you very much!!





No comments:
Post a Comment